Friday, July 3, 2009

Prune Yo Tomatoes


You may have noticed that your tomato plants have finally gotten the clue and started to grow a little bit. You may have also noticed that, once they start to grow, they can get out of control pretty quickly...thus the need for trellising and...pruning. Believe it or not, but cutting out some of the branches of your plant will actually result in more, better tasting fruit (and your tomatoes will be less prone to problems such as fungus, mold, drunk driving, etc.). Brad found this article which explains it all very well:
Pruning Tomatoes - Fine Gardening Article
Source: finegardening.com

4 comments:

DSTRONG said...

I seriously just read this post and went outside to prune my 4 tomato plants. A couple of them are what I would deem indeterminate and they were getting rowdy for sure. Hopefully they aren't too mature and pruning some of the large lateral branches won't be too hard on them... I figure, at the rate they were growing, a strong wind would break them off anyways... Thanks for the heads up, as always. - DStrong

Laurie Anne said...

I just found your blog and I am enjoying reading it. Thanks for the link on pruning tomatoes. I need to do this tomorrow as my plants have become completely unruly.
I live in Tacoma and I'm slowly starting the veggie garden thing. This has been my best year so far and I'm hoping to expand beyond tomatoes next year :0)

Vegetable Garden Planting said...

This is something my grandfather always taught me when tomato gardening and grew some of the best tomatoes I've ever tasted

Holy Land Olive Wood said...

You may have found that your beans have finally gotten the tip and developed a little bit. You may have also found that, once they start to create, they can get out of control very quickly...thus the need for trellising and...pruning. seattle fertility acupuncture